Thursday 11 October 2012

Malang Party - Dil Jalay

Yes. They call themselves 'Malang Party'. Their facebook page further informs the reader that apart from being a 'Musical Band', they are also the following:  a) A Political Party; b) a 'Mind-Circus'; and c) an all purpose 'Malangi Commune'. I don't think I'd like to use the word 'Malang' ever again. I even remember someone referring to them as a 'Baluchi-Blues-Funk-Rock-Reggae' outfit. Baluchi. Never really got my head round that part.

I still remember seeing these guys play live in an obscure gig in Islamabad about two years ago. Shahzad Hameed was on bass. A rastafari-esque Zeeshan Mansoor on the guitars. A gaunt looking drummer. A guy with sunglasses and greasy hair providing forced vocals over the fluid, rhythmic guitar melodies. The crowd might've had mixed views about their performance, but I kind of liked it. These guys were exploring interesting sonic domains.


The song in question, 'Dil Jalay' was also performed at the said gig. As far as I know, the band has a slightly different line-up these days. Mansoor has taken over the vocal responsibilities, and they've gotten a new bassist. 'Dil Jalay' was recorded and released about 8 months ago, featuring a more dominant, fluid bass line and easy-on-the-ears bluesy riffs.


No comments:

Post a Comment